Luxury and secluded 3 bedroom/3 bathroom Catalan country farm house in Rasquera with private pool and gardens set amongst stunning mountain scenery. Ideal for families and pets.
3 Bedrooms holiday country house rental in Rasquera
3 Bedrooms holiday country house rental in Rasquera
Advertised since Nov 2013
Speaks English, Spanish, Catalan
2 double beds
2 single beds
suitable for the elderly
no smoking inside
Notes. During your stay at Finca Paella, if you want to do a little more than laze in the sun by the private pool with a book, then the surrounding area offers a myriad of things to do, here are just ten of them.
1. Barcelona. The vibrant city of Barcelona is just 2 hours away by car or train. We have street maps and will offer advice on the fun things to see.
2. Port Aventura. This theme park, owned by Universal Studios, is one of the largest in Europe. It has different themed areas and rides to take your breath away, many of which are water based to keep you cool. It is just 50 minutes away.
3. The beaches. The coast is just 20k from here, with beautiful unspoilt coves of both pebbles and sand, and in many cases shaded wooded areas right by the beach. The beaches are clean, safe and ideal for snorkelling. Several of the beaches have small bars where you can buy drinks, tappas and ice creams.
4. The delta. This is where the River Ebro meets the sea and is a delta of some 100 square kilometers. It is cultivated mostly with rice (paddy) fields, but has large areas given over to bird watching from raised lookout towers. The beaches are long, sandy and completely unspoilt. The delta is about 40 minutes from Rasquera.
5. The Via Verde. The Via Verde is a disused railway line that is now a cycle or walking path that stretches inland from the town of Tortosa for some 100 kilometres. It passes within 10k of Rasquera, near the village of Benifallet. You can also join it at the old railway station in the village of Horta de Sant Joan and from here to Benifallet it is downhill all the way for about 25k. The scenery is stunning, passing through tunnels under the mountains and viaducts over the small rivers. Most of the old stations on the way have been converted into small bars and Restaurants, ideal for a lunch break. You can hire bikes from Horta for the journey and we will arrange all of this for you.
6. Kayaking. A number of companies offer supervised kayaking trips down the Ebro River. The starting point is by the old ferry crossing opposite the Knights Templar Castle of Miravet and proceeds with the flow of the river for approximately 14 kilometers to Benifallet. It is not too strenuous and takes about 3 hours. Again, we will arrange this for you if required.
7. River walks. There are two river walks that we recommend, one close to Horta de Sant Joan, 45 minutes away, and one in Beseite, about an hour from Rasquera. The former is an easy walk along the side of the small river, with beautiful clear water pools to swim in or picnic beside. The scenery is breathtaking, with high sheer rocky mountains on either side of the river. The second river walk, is a true river walk as you frequently need to paddle in the very fresh mountain water. This walk is a little more strenuous and not for the elderly, as it is a steady uphill climb into the Ports mountains along the course of the small river. Think of it as an adventure, a cross between Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park but without the danger and you get the picture. For this walk you need to take a picnic, towels (it can be cool in some of the steep canyons if you are wet) and plenty of water.
8. Bodega. After all the above excitement, if you fancy a private tour of one of Rasquera's Bodegas, then we can arrange this for you. This tour is supplied free of charge by the owners, a local family, and includes a free wine tasting afterwards. If you like the wine, and it is exceptional, then you are welcome to purchase a bottle or three.
9.Fishing. We have available, exclusively for the use of our visitors, a small fishing jetty on a neighbouring finca down by the river, a 15 minute walk away. This is a very beautiful little fishing spot, where last year, the son of one of our visitors caught a 12 kilo carp. If you wish to fish, you need to inform us in advance as a license is required. (€15)
10.Walking. Finca Paella is surrounded by beautiful, hills, mountains and forests. There are caminos and footpaths all over, ideal for hiking or just a leisurely stroll. If you are really energetic, then the Cardo mountains, almost 1,000 meters high, rise up directly behind Rasquera. From the top, on a clear day, you can see the Balearic Islands. If 1,000 meter mountains aren't high enough for you, the Pyrenees are a little over two hours away.
Airport (Reus) - 60 kilometers
Beach - 20 kilometers
Golf - 25 kilometers
Shops - 3 kilometers
Small shops, restaurants, pubs, café, church, park, market
Cycling, diving, fishing, horse riding, hiking, mountaineering, swimming, walking
You know you had a great stay when its time to pack and your children ask " Can we live here forever? we don't want to go home!" Excellent house with beautiful pool, very private, set amongst beautiful country landscape but still close to beach, historic sites etc. The sunset and mountain views are amazing! The house is comfortable, everything in immaculate working order, very clean. The owner was very welcoming, even provided a welcome pack in the fridge and other items so we can enjoy our stay even more. Thank you for a great stay and we hope to come back!
We have just returned from a lovely relaxing week at Finca Paella. The house is in a fantastic location and is ideal for lounging around as well as exploring the local area. Tim is a very good host, full of useful tips in the area. I would definitely recommend Finca Paella for anyone looking for a relaxing holiday in the Spanish sun!
3 people found this review helpful.
We have just returned from two weeks blissful holiday at Finca Paella, a destination we cannot recommend too highly. We would concur with other reviewers that the property's USP is the owner Tim, who went way beyond the call of duty in making our holiday special. All email queries we made before we left were answered promptly, often within minutes, and with all the information we asked for. Tim met us at a prearranged point in the village of Rasquera and escorted us personally to the villa. He visited (discreetly) most days to water the lovely garden and attend the pool and we would have felt entirely comfortable about raising any issues with him. There were none, because the villa is beautifully maintained and managed. We took up Tim's kind offer of doing a bit of shopping for us in advance of our arrival but in fact, the welcome pack that is included in the price would probably have done us for our first couple of days. The fridge and cupboards were very well stocked, and not just with gritty packs of sugar and dubious jars of suspicious leftovers. The villa itself is much more than a holiday home. It is well equipped and elegantly furnished. The kitchen, which looks like a smallish galley in the photographs, actually has a much greater feeling of space because it has open plan access to the dining and sitting rooms, so the cook does not feel boxed in. The bedrooms, often a dumping ground in holiday lets for dodgy wardrobes and questionable decor, are all stylish and airy. The two bedrooms upstairs have equal but different advantages - useful in the cause of fairness if two couples are holidaying together. The villa is also equipped with a plentiful store of books,DVDs music and games, as well as internet access to BBC radio. Access to the villa is a couple of miles up a tarmacked track through the forest and its sense of peace and solitude is hard to describe. There are wonderful views through mountains and valleys from all sides and to sit in the cool of the verandah looking beyond the pool, watching the afternoon breeze ruffle the trees, is the very best of stressbusters. This part of Spain was completely new to us but we have every intention of visiting again. There is a wonderful mix of activities on offer - elegant towns like Tortosa and Ruis, with good shopping and fine architecture, fabulous beaches, cycling, canoeing and river walks (river walk an absolute must, unlike anything I've ever done before) and a multitude of charming sleepy villages to visit. The roads are excellent and the scenery stunning. The people of the area are also unfailingly welcoming; everywhere we went we were greeted with smiles and patience with our stumbling Spanish. The food is excellent, and cheap. As an example, two of us had the lunchtime menu del dia at Rosa Mari's in Benifallet. We had olives, croutons with aioli, bread, a salad, a first course and second course, a pudding, bread, water and wine and paid E30 with a generous tip. Don't plan anything too strenuous after that little lot. One recommendation: take insect repellent, and Anthisan for when it fails. Mosquitoes or similar abound, though the house itself is well protected with screens on all windows and citronella candles at all seating areas. Thank you again, Tim, for all you did to make our holiday so special. We are very happy to recommend Finca Paella in the warmest terms possible.
2 people found this review helpful.
We justed finnished what has been one of our best vacations ever in a beautiful area of Spain. The approximity to the sea (30min)with a large options of beautiful beaches, Spains largest river (10min), and mystical mountain chains and fresh rivers and finally cities like Tarragona and Barcelona, makes it an ideal location. Villa Paella is a very nice and clean property with most necessary equipment in place. Washing machine, TV&DVD(offline), great pool, fridge, ovens and kitchen equipment. The propoerty is situated in an amazing manner with open view to far off mountains. The best part of the rental was the service of the owner Tim. He gave us very good information on what to see and do and he came to fix anything that might be broken or what we needed (flat tyre on bike etc). He also introduced us to the local people of Rasquera, showed us local wine cellar with tastings, sightseeing and dinner at goat farm and an amazing walk/swim up an fresh river valley giving the feel of Jurrasic Park. The restaurants he told us abour were great too. Please free to call me om 004747883500 if you are in need of a reference or have any other question concerning this property. Morten Kamphaug (Isabella and Lucie).