The tortilla de patatas is one of Spain's most iconic and beloved dishes. Learn to make this traditional recipe with the video below!
- Olive oil
- 5 potatoes
- 5 large eggs
- 1 onion
- Peel and slice the potatoes and the onion.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and onion to the pan; add salt to taste.
- Cover the pan with a lid (optional). Stir the potatoes and onion occasionally, breaking the potatoes into smaller pieces.
- When the potatoes are soft (after approx. 15-20 minutes), remove the potato and onion mix with a slotted spoon to drain off the excess oil and add it to the beaten eggs.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in the pan on a medium heat and add the egg mixture.
- After approx. 5-6 minutes, use a flat lid or plate to invert the tortilla. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and slide the tortilla back in to cook the other side for another 5-6 minutes on reduced heat.
Enjoy, or as the Spanish say: ¡Qué aproveche!