The Energy Performance Certificate

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) or Certificado de Eficiencia Energética CEE), was launched by Royal Decree on June 1st 2013. An assessor will grade your home for its energy efficiency and you will be given a certificate based on the results. From June 1st this year, anyone selling or renting a property - short or long term - will need one, but of course there are exceptions.

If you rent your property for less than four months per year. In this case you won’t need an Energy Performance Certificate, the exception to this rule is... 

If during these four months your electricity usage equates to 25% or more of the annual usage, then you will have to apply for an Energy Performance Certificate! It has been widely reported, due to the new rentals bill passed this month, that the Government will be employing the help of Endesa to monitor electricity usage, to help track rental properties. With this in mind, it's important to get your certificate if your usage does exceed the 25% limit. 

If your home was constructed post-2007, it should have been constructed to Energy Efficiency Certificate standards. In this case you shouldn't need to apply for a certificate. But it’s always advisable to check; don’t just assume your property will have an energy certificate. Also, if you are considering buying a holiday home in Spain, make sure you ask to see the Energy Performance Certificate of the property.  

So how do I apply for an Energy Performance Certificate?

Energy Performance Certificate SpainYou need to apply for a certificate through a registered EPC Assessor. It’s not hard locating one, as many renewable energy specialists, architects, surveyors and construction engineers are now registered as Energy Assessors. The cost of a certificate is based on the type and square meterage of your property, with prices ranging from 150 € - 450 €

Example costs: A certificate on a residential property with a constructed area of 80m2-120m2 should cost around 190-200 €. An office of approximately the same size would cost approximately 250 € and a commercial premise around 250-300 €. 

And if I don’t...? 

If you don’t, you could be in for a nasty fine, anything between €300-€6000. But don’t forget this adds value to your holiday home, you can market it as an energy efficient home, which could lead to more bookings from energy conscious travellers. 

With the introduction of the new holiday rentals law in Spain, having an Energy Performance Certificate will be a pre-requisite for being approved for a licence; another reason to make sure you get yours soon. 

Once you have your Energy Performance Certificate your property is under guarantee for 10 years. If your home registers a low energy rating you are not obliged to upgrade or improve its efficiency, but it's a good idea to plan in changes that will ultimately save you money, lower your carbon footprint and add more value to your home in the long run.